Tuesday, November 13, 2012

Praying for Rain

One of my all time favourite phrases is from the poem by Jonathan Kariara 'Grass will Grow'. He basically says, no matter what happens... we can survive it. He prays to God to 'send a little rain... for grass will grow.'  We can survive anything, he surmises ... except the death of our mind.

I'm a writer... mainly. Writing is my first love. And as all writers know... sometimes, it can be a thank less job. Depending on the industry you're in of course. And when it's not... it can be an uphill task getting your work out there and then, praying against all hope, that something will come out of it.

So... recently... my first novel (that I'm showing to the public) got picked up by a publisher. Yaayy!! But I'm told, from all the countless sites I've trolled through, it's just the beginning of the journey. For starters, publishing is a marathon... not a sprint.

After my celebration, even with slight reservation because who knows whether or not the book will take, I'm settling in for another long haul. It can be depressing to a writer. Especially when doubts start seeping in. Am I on the right track? Did I pick the right publisher? Have I made the right choice? Should I just be thrilled, no matter what the offer is, that someone... ANYONE... thought my work has merit?

All these things rushing through my mind. As I try to tell myself to calm down. Everything is perfect. Everything is alright. All I need to do is breathe and be thankful for how far I've come. And breathe. And be thankful.

And then I think of Kariara's line... 'Send a little rain... for Grass will grow.'

No matter how dismal the situation is or how long you've been searching or how many 'not the right book for our company' etc etc... the treasure isn't in the words on paper. Those can be redone... reworked... perfected. One no means just that, one no. The treasure is you. The writer. Your mind. Your spirit. Your gift. And most of all... your resilience.

I've decided... to start writing this journey now. Because I have a feeling... next year same time... things will have changed immensely in my life. And even if I can think back and write about them, they won't be true of my experience at that very moment.

So this blog... Rain God... is about writing. Finding. Discovering. Going on that journey. The 'How Did They Make It' journey. In real time.

We all have our stories... I hope we share them, often.

4 comments:

  1. Mo Akoth! You are and have always been a phenomenal woman! Your writing gift was deposited in you even before Mama and Baba knew you! If the publishing world and movie industry is a bit slack in recognizing it, don't change a thing! Keep writing!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Valleydatedmama... :-) Thank you!!! You don't do half bad yourself... xoxo

      Delete
  2. I would like to read your novel

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow! You made me look at that poem in totally new light. Yes, grass will grow, just like Samson's hair growing again. We shall survive and rise again.
    You are a great writer!

    ReplyDelete