Friday, January 4, 2013

Going with the Flow

If I was to make one single resolution this year, it would be to go with the flow. I don't mean this in an irresponsible way... but then again, who determines what's considered 'responsible'.

I mean, we're brought up in boxes, be these houses or values or structures or schools or religion or family ... We're brought up in boxes and for the most part of our lives, we live within the confines of these boxes. Every once in a while we test the boundaries... but I've been discovering that these boundaries, past a certain put, snap back into the boxes we're trying to move away from.

I'm not being pessimistic or defeatist... I'm the total opposite of that. But I'm acknowledging, that unless I acknowledge what my own boxes are, then I will repeat my actions over and over again while trying to get different results. Some of these actions are good, positive ones, sure. But many others only serve to limit me.

One of my biggest limitations has been the 'and then what' factor. That thing that makes you think twenty 'what if' steps ahead before you take the leap. It can save your life, yes, but it can also keep you smack in the middle of your box forever. And there is more outside that box, so much more.

I don't think boxes were ever met to contain us. We were not meant to live within them. Maybe they were made so that when we were ready, we could simply pack them up, put them in a little rucksack and go happily on our journey.

Because our boxes are our safety. And every once in a while, on life's adventures, no matter how incredible, we need a little bit of that safety blanket, to give us strength and courage and sometimes direction on which way next.

So this year, I'm not living in my box... I'm taking it with me on all the incredible adventures and open doors that I will experience. No more rubber band effects.

What are your boxes?

No comments:

Post a Comment