Sunday, January 6, 2013

Loving What You Do

Someone once said, you know you love what you do when you look forward to Monday morning....

So now, after like a three week vacation, Christmas is over... New Year's gone... and my birthday is also behind me... Tomorrow is back to work. I'm actually excited about it.

Being a writer, there are many times that I'd just LOOVVE to be able to work solely on my own creations, novels, mainly. And maybe some Film scripts. Right now, I work as a Head Writer for a show in Kenya. It's different because you can't just go off and do what you want. There are rules, regulations, deadlines, other folks' opinions to deal with.. etc. etc. And sometimes, there is a tendency to think, I just want to go with my own flow... sail to Seychelles, hire a bungalow, write to my heart's desire.

Sure, that sounds like a treat, a dream, fantasy. But with writing your own stuff, comes high stakes and high responsibility. For instance, remaining relevant, being noticed, selling... There is no definite guarantee. The safety net is only as safe as your faith and inner peace. It's exhilarating, but it doesn't come free.

Nothing does. Working a contracted job is exhilarating too, in its own right. Different challenges. Different cons. And sure, even this safety net is not 100% safe... I'm talking knowing what your monthly income will be. But there is something to be said for a road that has already been mapped out. I think it's underrated. Right now, after the highs and fast paced buzz of having a novel come out and the excitement and concern about the challenge ahead... going to a structured work schedule tomorrow, will be a welcome break.

Strange. But that is how I know I love what I do. I am blessed. In my employment and in my dream and fantasy world. Both of which, more and more are beginning to meet.

As I start this year... what I am filled with... is appreciation. How about you?

xoxo
m.

No comments:

Post a Comment